Thinking about buying a home?
Don’t know where to begin?
HDF can make buying your first home affordable with our first time home buyer education and downpayment assistance programs. We are there every step of the way to help you succeed in buying your new home!
Check Your Eligibility Here
Please check HDF’s list of requirements before creating an account.
To ask a specific question about one of our programs, please select “First Time Homebuyer Program” on our contact form and we will get in touch with you via email.
Learn More about our programs
For a quick overview of our programs and services, watch our video below.
At HDF, all clients work one on one with an adviser to chart a path to homeownership from start to finish. Together you will develop an action plan to increase savings, reduce debt, and identify programs that work for you.
Most importantly, all of HDF’s first time home buyer advice is completely free of charge! To get started, use the link above to create a profile and securely upload your documents.
For HDF’s purposes, a “first time home buyer” is someone who has not owned a home at any time over the last 3 years. Certain other restrictions may apply.
Downpayment Assistance Programs
Lender License Number ML840392
On top of HDF’s free advice, first time homebuyers can take part in a number of our downpayment and closing cost programs. This is because many of our loan products are stackable, helping make homeownership affordable and sustainable.
See the full list of available loan products below to discover what HDF can make possible for you!
Available Loan Products
- SmartMove CT Low interest downpayment assistance for CT first time homebuyers for up to 20% of the purchase price. (Flyer: English, Español)
- SmartClose CT An additional closing cost loan for $5,000 at 0% interest for SmartMove loan borrowers. Funds are limited! (Flyer: English)
- SmartMove NY Low interest downpayment assistance for NY first time homebuyers for up to 20% of the purchase price. (Flyer: English, Español)
- Live Where You Work CT Up to $20,000 in 0% downpayment assistance for first time homebuyers purchasing homes in the city where they work (Flyer: English)
- Local Downpayment Assistance Programs Additional loan programs available to people buying in specific towns and cities (amounts and terms vary).
Home buyer Education (chfa)
Home Buyer Education classes are open to everyone, whether you’ve already applied for a mortgage or not. No matter where you are in the home buying process, this 8-hour course will help you on your way.
These classes are mandatory for CHFA loan applicants and may be required for other loan programs as well. All HDF borrowers in our First Time Homebuyer Program must also complete an 8-hr Home Buyer Education Class before closing.
To learn more about your options and register for home buyer education courses, visit our homebuyer education page.