Thinking about buying a home? First time homebuyer education and downpayment assistance loans from HDF can help you buy your first home affordably. We are there every step of the way to ensure your homebuying process is successful and that you purchase a home you can afford.
If you are interested in any or all of HDF’s services, including Homebuyer Counseling, Education, or Lending, HDF is here to help.
Check your Eligibility here
If you answered “TRUE” to ALL the eligibility questions, continue with the “Start Your Journey Now” logo below to register and create a customer profile.
You will be able to securely upload the necessary documents to your profile.
Please call 203-969-1830 ext. 1003 or contact us if you have any questions about this process.
Scroll down to learn more about HDF’s Services, including HDF’s Homebuyer Counseling, in-person and online Homebuyer Education Classes, and Lending Products.
For a quick overview of our programs and services, watch our video below.
HDF’s HOMEOWNERSHIP ADVISERS will answer questions and work with you to chart a path to homeownership from start to finish. You’ll work one-on-one with an adviser to develop an action plan to increase savings, reduce debt, and to identify and apply for down payment assistance opportunities.
HDF’s first time homebuyer adviser services are provided completely free of charge, and are designed specifically to help regular people buy their first homes. For HDF’s purposes, a ‘first time homebuyer’ is someone who has not owned a home at any time over the last 3 years. Certain other restrictions may apply.
Downpayment Assistance Programs
In addition to HDF’s free counseling, education, and guidance, first time homebuyers can also take advantage of a number of down payment and closing cost assistance programs designed to make homeownership achievable and sustainable, such as HDF’s SmartMove down payment assistance loan.
Whatever your circumstances, HDF has a second mortgage or loan to help cover your closing costs or down payment. Many of our loan products will stack, giving eligible purchasers a ‘jump-start’ toward homeownership!
Available Loan Products
- SmartMove CT Low interest downpayment assistance for CT first time homebuyers. For up to 20% of the purchase price. (Flyer: English, Spanish)
- SmartMove NY Low interest downpayment assistance for NY first time homebuyers. For up to 20% of the purchase price. (Flyer: English, Spanish)
- Project Reinvest: Homeownership (CT, NY) 0% downpayment assistance for homebuyers in CT and NY. $10,500. (Flyer: English, Spanish)
- Live Where You Work (CT) 0% downpayment assistance for first time homebuyers purchasing homes in the city where they work. Up to $20,000. (Flyer: English, Spanish)
- Local Downpayment Assistance Programs Additional loan programs available to people buying in specific towns and cities. Amounts and terms vary.
Homebuyer Education (HBE) classes are open to anyone in the community interested in learning more about homeownership. Whether you have already applied for a mortgage or are just beginning to consider your options, 8-hour homebuyer classes provides in-depth instruction on the steps towards homeownership.
All HDF borrowers in the First Time Homebuyer Program must complete an 8-hr Homebuyer Education Class prior to closing. These classes are mandatory for CHFA loan applicants under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Homeownership Program and may be required for other loan programs as well.
For more information or to register for a class please click here.